Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 3: Reading Habits

I wanted to have a quick introspective look at my reading habits because time after time, English class after English class, staying consistent with my reading has been the bane of my grades. If you scroll down the page a little, you can read about how much I love math. The feeling of tackling problems one at a time is a comfort I find in it. I find that I try and read the same way. I tend to read large chunks of material all at once. I am a fairly quick reader but I am plagued with a fairly short attention span. Even as I am writing this I have stopped and started again at least 3 times now and I am only one fifth of the way finished. Okay I am not going to lie, I was in the process of writing this blog on a Microsoft Word document so I could be aware of the word count and just as I was about the copy and paste it here, I deleted it. So now I am back again trying to recapture the spirit of the tangent I was typing so furiously about just a few seconds ago. Right, reading habits... I usually find that the best time for me to do this "binge" reading of mine is in the early afternoon. If I try and read too early or too late, then I absorb little to none of the information in the text. The only downside to reading the most efficiently at that time, is that there are usually so many other things I would rather be doing at about 1:00 in the afternoon. Moving right along, I have also found that the best place for me to do my reading is actually in the school library. As long as I can score a seat that is not in a cubicle, the chairs can be quite comfy and perfectly suited for reading. Something tells me that's probably intentional.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you on having other things to do besides reading at 1pm. I too am more of a math person. With math you can really engage yourself in a problem, and have an outcome.Somehow math takes my scattered brain and reals it in. With reading, there is no end, or well maybe there is but it doesn't seem like it.:) Yes! The chairs in the cubicals are horrible. I'm always excited when I see an open "comfy" chair with a open little table next to it!:)

    ReplyDelete